Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli announced the preliminary results of the ongoing investigation into a fatal motor vehicle collision which occurred on Thursday, July 24, 2014 in Ridgefield, New Jersey. The investigation is being conducted by members of the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office Major Crimes Unit under the direction of Chief Carmen MARTINO and the Ridgefield Police Department under the direction of Chief Thomas J. GALLAGHER.

On Thursday, July 24, 2014, at approximately 1:30 a.m., the Ridgefield Police Department received a report of a motor vehicle collision involving a single motor vehicle which struck a building at the intersection of Broad Avenue and Edgewater Road. A 2014 Honda Civic driven by twenty year old Tamer M. Ammar of Fort Lee, New Jersey was headed north on Broad Avenue when Mr. Ammar lost control of his vehicle, drove into the southbound lane of travel and eventually struck a building. Mr. Ammar and his two male passengers, Miles Reme and James Racanelli, both twenty years old and from Fort Lee, New Jersey, were seriously injured as a result of the collision and were transported to area hospitals. At approximately 2:40 a.m., Miles Reme was pronounced dead at Hackensack University Medical Center.

As a result of a cooperative investigation conducted by members of Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Fatal Accident Investigation Unit (FAIU) and the Ridgefield Police Department it was determined that Mr. Ammar was driving north in the right hand lane of Broad Avenue when he lost control of his vehicle, mounted the sidewalk on his right hand side and drove through two bus stop sign posts. Mr. Ammar then drove the Honda off the sidewalk, across the roadway and traveled north in the southbound lane of Broad Avenue, eventually driving over the grass median at the intersection of Broad Avenue and Edgewater Road and head-on into the exterior wall of a commercial business at 579 Broad Avenue. The collision scene, from the bus stop sign posts to the building where the Honda came to rest, measured approximately 1400 feet in length.

Mr. Ammar is in very serious condition and has been admitted at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Paterson, New Jersey and Mr. Racanelli, also in serious condition, has been admitted at Hackensack University Medical Center.

This remains an ongoing investigation.

Prosecutor Molinelli would like to thank the Ridgefield Police Department and the Bergen County Sheriff’s Office for their assistance in this investigation.

  |  related link