The Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office (hereinafter “the Agency”) provides up-to-date information to the general public through various social media platforms. The Agency uses social media as a means to provide access to information about the Agency and provide a platform for interaction with the Agency according to the guidelines outlined herewith. The Agency strives to treat everyone with dignity and respect, and we expect the same from our online users and visitors. We hope by providing guidelines to our users and visitors they will have a more enjoyable experience and will be encouraged to return regularly. Posting on any of this Agency’s sponsored social media platforms constitutes acceptance of the following terms:
A. Customer Use: Authorized and Prohibited Comments
- Users are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the host site. Any information you share with or post to Agency sponsored social media pages may be used by the host site for their own purposes. Please review and/or consult the host website’s TOS.
- Comments promoting or endorsing political campaigns or candidates are prohibited.
- The use of obscene, vulgar, pornographic, slanderous, defamatory, insulting, threatening or harassing language or the promotion of violence is prohibited. Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are strictly prohibited.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or conduct in violation of any federal, state or local law are prohibited.
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest, such as a copyright or trademark, of any party are subject to removal. Contributors may only post their own, original content. Reproduced or borrowed content will be deleted where it reasonably appears to violate third party rights.
- Comments that detail serious unsubstantiated allegations or could harm or jeopardize ongoing investigations or legal action are subject to removal.
- Comments that constitute commercial marketing, commercial endorsement or unsolicited commercial advertisement are prohibited.
- Repetitive posts copied and posted by multiple users or unintelligible or irrelevant comments or that contain personal identifying information of any person may be removed.
Posted comments do not necessarily represent the views of the Agency.
C. Emergencies/Crime Tips and News Requests
Please note our social media accounts are NOT monitored 24-7 and we cannot accept emergency posts or crime reports via social media. If you require emergency assistance, please call 911. For tips, please call our crime tip line at 201-226-5532. Reporters are asked to send questions to the Public Information Officer through normal channels and to refrain from submitting questions via social media pages.
D. Information Disclaimer
The Agency makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information via social media. The information contained on sponsored social media platforms, however, is not official nor in any way shall it be deemed to constitute legal notice where such legal notice is required by law. Any information posted is provided as a service and convenience to people needing information about the Agency. Portions of the information posted by the Agency may be incorrect or not current. The Agency, its officers, employees or agents shall not be liable for damages or losses of any kind arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of social media posted information, including but not limited to, damages or losses caused by reliance upon the accuracy or timeliness of any such information, or damages incurred from the viewing, distributing, or copying of those materials. We also accept no responsibility for lack of service due to host service downtime.
E. Linking Policy
The Agency’s sponsored social media pages may contain links to outside websites. These websites are not owned, controlled or reviewed by the Agency. Any links are provided solely as a courtesy and convenience to the user. The Agency, its officers or employees, exercise no control over the material contained in these outside websites nor does the Agency, its officers or employees, sponsor, endorse, or approve the information, materials, opinions or services contained on such outside websites. The user proceeds to these outside websites at his/her own risk. The Agency specifically disclaims any and all liability from damages, which may result from the accessing of a third-party site, which is linked to the Agency’s social media page or from reliance upon only such information.
F. Endorsement Disclaimer
Advertisements that appear alongside Agency social media accounts, pages or tweets issued by the Agency do not imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Agency or its officers, employees or agents. The appearance of a user as a follower of an Agency account does not imply endorsement, nor does the Agency’s following any particular user imply endorsement. Likewise, the participation of the Agency on social media, including liking, commenting, reposting, retweeting, sharing or the use of other feature sets that are made available on social media pages at, toward, or about another’s account, message, or post do not imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Agency or its officers, employees, or agents.
G. Copyright and Trademark Limitations/Use of Materials
The Agency makes no warranty that materials contained on an Agency sponsored social media page are free of copyright or trademark claims or other restrictions or limitations on free use or display. Making a copy of such material may be subject to copyright or trademark laws. The Agency has made the content of its social media pages available to the public and anyone may view, copy or distribute Agency posted information found therein without obligation to the Agency for non-commercial, personal use only.
H. Unauthorized Modifications
Unauthorized attempts to modify or otherwise alter any information posted on Agency sponsored social media pages may result in criminal prosecution.
We welcome feedback from our users and we try to join conversations or reply where possible, however, we are not able to reply to all the messages or posts that we receive.
J. Right to Amend